To Get Help OR Not to Get Help?

7975728252?profile=RESIZE_710x

There is a statistic that says the average person goes approximately 11 years between the time they know they have a mental health issue and when they actually seek intervention and professional help to address the issue.

1)  How long did it take from the time you knew you had an issue and when you took the first step toward recovery?

2)  What do you feel were the major factors that contributed to you not seeking help for the time period described in Q1?

You need to be a member of The Well-Being EXchange to add comments!

Join The Well-Being EXchange

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It took me 35 years. I attempted suicide when I was 15. I finally reached out for help when I was 50.

Talking about mental health in my family was a taboo subject. It was about what it looked like. The perfect family is not so perfect.

• It took me 35 years. I attempted suicide when I was 15. I finally reached out for help when I was 50.

Talking about mental health in my family was a taboo subject. It was about what it looked like. The perfect family is not so perfect.

• It took 12 years.

My life was rapidly changing and I lost all sense of myself.  I resisted recovery because I was tough enough to do it on my own.  You know how well that ended.

This reply was deleted.